Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fifth Session March 28, 2010


Today, we worked on prepositions. From Tom’s text messages and when he speaks, I noticed he uses prepositions incorrectly, specifically, ‘on’ and ‘in’. I began by asking him what the difference between the two is, and he was unable to define them. What he did was provide examples of how he would use them, but his examples were wrong. I asked Tom if he knew the difference between the two, he was baffled. Based on his responses, I decided to explicitly explain the difference between the two. First, I explained to him what prepositions are and the purpose they serve. Following this explanation, I listed all the prepositions I could think of to show him why they fall under the category of prepositions. Next, I differentiated between ‘in’ and ‘on’ by describing how and when each one is used. Furthermore, through the use of examples, I showed him how ‘in’ or ‘on’ are used. Additionally, I pointed out the mistakes he makes when using these in his speech or text messages. Specifically, on a text message, Tom wrote, “I’m in campus, but I will be late for our meeting because I am on a meeting for a class now.” In this example, it is clear that he misused ‘in’ and ‘on’. My impression was he thinks that the two prepositions can be used interchangeably. Hopefully after this session on prepositions, Tom will be able to use these properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment